I believe that divorce is one of the biggest epidemics in our society that is not recognized or treated as such. As marriage and family therapist, of course, divorce is something that fascinates me because it's something I spend my life fighting. I am not ignorant enough to believe I'm going to see all divorce cases end in my life, I am ignorant as to believe that all divorce cases, but should be avoided. I am, however, perhaps ignorant of my conviction that it is crazy for people considering divorce to get advice from a divorce lawyer.
Now most of you think I'm crazy. What would a divorce lawyer for advice about her marriage? Many people, unfortunately. I had no idea until I started working with marriages and families in crisis how many people and even couples have sought refuge and advice with your divorce lawyer.
I was overwhelmed by my new knowledge to one primary cause. Do people who are considering a divorce remember that a divorce lawyer is the last person who will take care to repair a broken marriage? A divorce lawyer is a stay to help couples get divorced and still find as many advantages as possible for divorce. So why divorced person almost anyone go to a divorce lawyer, hoping to fix their marriage? Beats me.
My advice to anyone struggling in their marriage, is to make an appointment to visit a professional counselor or marriage and family therapist. The main reason I suggest this because, in general, counselors and therapists are people who deeply want to see marriages and families restored instead of torn. If I want someone to help me fix my car, so it is much wiser to get help from someone who really believes that cars can be fixed, right?
Of course. The same is true with marriage. Do not look for help to a person who believes that marriages should end slightly and for any reason whatsoever. Instead, go to a professional who is trained to give you wisdom about ways to make your relationship work.
A divorce lawyer is ideal for people who are sure that divorce is the option they choose. But if you are unsure about your choice and if you ever hope to heal your marriage and a divorce lawyer is the last person you should see.
No comments:
Post a Comment